11/30/2006

Florida Points Series - Jackie Kurth

October 7 – 8, 2006

This race in Ocala, Florida was the last official Florida Points Series race for the season. After a disappointing 7th place finish and a few points lost at Cyclefest last weekend I really had the pressure on myself to perform on Saturday. I was still currently in the lead for points but only by the minuscule margarine of four points followed by Rebecca Larson. Coming into this race I wanted to come in first place but knew I could come in only one or two places behind Larson or I would not win the women's 1-3 Florida Points Series. This would be a difficult challenge to face since Larson is a professional racer and wins about every race she enters in Florida.

I had never raced this course before, but I really enjoyed it. It was a rectangle with a slight incline to the finish and on the opposite side was a slight downhill. I approached the line with about twelve women 1-3 and four category four women usual racers in the category 1-4 women's race. The race seemed like a game of cat and mouse, I was watching Rebecca and other riders were watching each other waiting for attacks. Some attacks were made and stayed out for a few laps but none were persistent. It came down to a field sprint. Through the last two turns I was on Larson's wheel. She started to sprint and I responded staying with her and gapping the field. I came around and tried to pass her but not quite. I came in second place for the race. However I won first overall for the Florida Points Series by only three points! That night was a banquet and awards ceremony which about three hundred racers attended. That night I was presented with a trophy for the Florida Points Series and I also received third place for the Florida Cup in women's 1-3. The cup is determined by six specific races that are awarded points. I participated in twenty nine out of thirty two races for Florida Points. The next day I participated in a thirty mile road race through the beautiful equine countryside outside of Ocala on the chilly morning. My legs were very sore and I got a very short warm before my women's 1-4 race. About three laps in to the five lap race I got in a break of four women. However another attack occurred within the break and I got caught behind another rider and could not bridge up. Then I got swallowed up by the field while a two person breakaway rode out of sight. On the last lap I got into another breakaway with five riders that stayed until the finish. With the fast downhill sprint I was in third position behind a Ford and BBC rider. The Ford rider started to sprint with the BBC and me on her wheel. With the finish line in sight we both came around her and were in a neck and neck sprint. I kept gaining speed and crossed the finish line for a photo finish. Unfortunately she beat me by only about two inches. I came in fourth place.I had an excellent weekend; superb year and I can't wait till next year.

Later,
Jackie

No comments: