9/24/2007

Marshall Report: Kenosha Crit

Hi;

I competed in last weekends crit race in Kenosha. It was my second crit race ever, having done my first in Lombard earlier this summer.

Anyhow, after cycling 66 miles the day before, I wasn't sure just how I would do, but after a fairly good warmup, I went to the start line for the Masters 50+ race.

Being behind schedule they decided to shorten race from 45 min. + 2 laps, to 30 min. + 2 laps.

Were off...took it right to the back, and settled into a relaxed mode. After about 10 minutes, a couple guys attacked, stayed on, mostly in or near the back. Somewhere around 25 minutes things started to get crazy.

Again, survived the attacks, and on back stretch somewhere around 27 minutes, Richard Adamczyk turned head to look back, and in doing so, touched Andy Kerrs wheel, and went down, pretty hard too (I was behind and witnessed his crash).

Ok, now were around the 3rd corner, and I make a very subtle sweeping move to the front, right around the start line, and clock is showing 28 minutes. I clear turn one, and continue around to turn two, with group right on my tail.

Then on back stretch, into the wind, I start to build a small gap. I stayed very relaxed, focused (per Mike Eberts advice)and came around to see clock out, and were onto the final +2 laps.

I continued pressing onward, working pretty hard, still relatively relaxed, mostly pushing hardest on the windy back stretch. Ok, now around turn four and hear bell lap...and wow, I'm about 150 meters or more ahead of the attacking field.

I pass start line and onto final lap, thought maybe I can hold this lead, so worked pretty hard on stretch one and two (with wind & cross wind sections), but slowed on windy stretch into a resting high cadence rythem....BIG MISTAKE OF THE DAY!|

Not knowing it, Richard Adamczyk got a FREE LAP (JUST BARELY BEFORE 3 LAP RULE)...and guess what he is charging hard, around final turn he catches me. I try to come back on him, but it's too late, as I'm was probably in to big a gear to get a sprint even going. I do close on him, but he wins by a little over a wheel!

So...I get second, in my second crit ever, and was still happy, as my original plan was to finish somewhere in the pack.

ONLY MISTAKE, BUT A VERY BIG ONE, WAS THAT I SHOULD HAVE NOT RESTED ON WINDY STRETCH, BUT RATHER PRESSED HARD....

CHALK IT UP TO A ROOKIE MISTAKE!!

My second race was the Cat 4 Race....was pretty tired, didn't quit though....jus a 22 mph workout off the back! Sorry guys...no energy left to help...BIG THANKS TO BEN DEMONG, FOR WARNING ME AROUND TURN 3 THAT THEIR COMMING ON ME FAST....WENT WIDE TO LET THEM THRU!

P.S. - Received 22 ROTY points, however, I'm now a marked man...for upcomming Fall Fling Crits!

Bob Marshall/
ABD Multisport

No comments: